Lost in the Middle of Nowhere- Musical Analysis

 

Kane Brown & Becky G

       


I have found that I don't tend to like remixes to songs so very much because I find that the original just 

tends to sound better, at least to me. However, it seems that I have found a song that I enjoy the remix

 version so much more than the original. That isn't to say I don't like the original song because I do, but

 the remix just speaks to me more on so many more levels. One of the many reasons I will love a song is

 because of the way it makes me feel and the mood it will put me in, and the remix just makes me feel

 more and to be in a better mood than the original. I figured I would put both the original and Spanish

 remix video below so anyone could listen to both.

 

"Lost in the Middle of Nowhere"  Kane Brown feat. Becky G November 2018 USA 


"Lost in the Middle of Nowhere" Kane Brown feat. Becky G (Spanish remix) March 2019 USA

  

Lyrics

 

Another reason I put both videos is for everyone who doesn't understand Spanish and would like to know

 

what the lyrics for the song are. I think everyone, especially me, from time to time just thinks about

 

getting in our car with someone who cares about whether its a lover, family, or friend and going to a drive

 

and just forgetting about everything. Sometimes we just need a break and want to keep on going and

 

forget to take the exit that would take us home or work or even to our responsibilities. A drive is a time to

 

just sit back and listen to good music, and in one of the lyrics it says,

 

"Passed our exit five ago

Four lanes to county roads

Playlist lighting up the dark

808's and pounding hearts"

 

the 808 is Rhythm Composer an electronic drum machine that was used in the 1980s in hip-pop music.

 

 



 

Timbre/Tone Color

The song starts with a cascading acoustic guitar that leads into Kane beginning to sing. While they are 

singing in English, the tone of the song is very much country and keeping with the original feel to the

song, and you can start to feel it picking up, but it isn't until they begin to sing in Spanish that you can feel

the beat drop. Once they start singing in Spanish, the whole feel and tone of the song changes, and it

goes from country to a more reggaeton feeling. This also moves into more than just an acoustic guitar;  

you can start to hear fuller interments being played that makes the song sound deeper.

 

Rhythm 

 

The song has a change of rhythm from when the music starts to about a minute in, and things start to

 

sound and feel different. The rhythm of the song is much more country and a little slower in the intro

 

while Kane and Becky are starting the song off in English, but once they switch to Spanish, you can feel

 

the rhythm change. It picks up, and changes to more of a reggaeton sound with a deep undulating

 

synthesizer feel to it. This kind of rhythm makes you want to get up and dance with you, move around

 

the room, or can't sit still in your seat. The rhythm in the Spanish remix is one of the main reasons I love

 

it so much more than the original because it makes me want to get up and dance or move in my seat as

 

where the original as a much more country laid back feel to it, and it doesn't get me moving.

  

 

Articulation 

 

You can hear some changes in Becky's voice when she is singing and how she is moving from one note

 

to another. She does this with more of a slide to the next note instead of just stopping one note and then

 

making a clean move the next one. When Becky is singing in Spanish, you can hear a change in the

 

accent of her words and feel a different tone to them than when she is singing in English. I think this is

 

something I really like about Spanish songs and reggaeton music is that they feel and change in some  

 

singer’s voice is amazing and can completely change how a song feels while listening to it.

  


 

Melody

 

This is the part of the song that everyone can hear and recognize even if they don't know anything about

 

music; it is the part of the song that helps draws us in. Even in a song where they are singing in Spanish,

 

you can pick up where the melody is because you can hear it, and it helps you to follow along to the

 

song. 




 
Freeman, Jon. “Kane Brown, Becky G Meld Country, Reggaeton in 'Lost in the Middle of Nowhere' Remix.” Rolling Stone, Rolling Stone, 29 Mar. 2019, www.rollingstone.com/music/music-country/kane-brown-becky-g-lost-in-the-middle-of-nowhere-remix-815123/.
 
 
“Kane Brown - Lost in the Middle of Nowhere (English Version) Lyrics.” MetroLyrics, www.metrolyrics.com/lost-in-the-middle-of-nowhere-english-version-lyrics-kane-brown.html.
 
 

 

 

 

Comments

  1. Wow this was definitely different! I enjoyed reading your analysis! I did learn that this was a country-meets-reggaeton remix and I have never heard anything like this. I agree with you that the remix does sound better!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction Post

Role of the Performer Pentatonix (PTX)

Final Blog Post- How Music Service Society